Thursday, June 9, 2011

Amazing Grace

My first tattoo!!...I've waited for this one for a good 4 years, at least! And for more than 3 and a half hours, I sat crouched on a chair, getting my shoulder blade poked with an ink filled needled gun. The pain??...Was bearable and not excruciating as I had anticipated, but yes the last 20 minutes, or so(..It felt like a lifetime!) was the worst. I could feel my body giving way because of exhaustion. But it was worth it!

 And no..I do not enjoy pain. I am definitely not a masochist.

I did A LOT of homework before deciding to get the tattoo done. I needed, to make sure doubly, that what my heart wanted wasn't going to go against God's heart. My conscience needed to be clear. And in doing so I read up quite a lot...Scriptures and websites!

To quote from Leviticus 19: 28 (The Message version), it says "Don't gash your bodies on behalf of the dead. Don't tattoo yourselves. I am GOD."

The above scripture was the alarm bell that went off in my head. But I read further only to understand that   Leviticus firstly was a book of God's laws for all Israelites. In those days, it was a book that outlined rules and was a guide for their day to day living. And in the context of this particular scripture, keeping in mind the historic setting at the time it was written, it meant to not participate in pagan rituals, mark our bodies in preparation of the dead or imprint on ourselves, symbols and signs that belong to the heathen.

And if we are to stick to this particular law then we must adhere to everything else that the book of Leviticus has to say. And in doing so we may become vegetarians, cover our heads at all times and never wear clothing  made out of polyester!! ..Refer Leviticus!

However, we don't do these things solely because it isn't applicable nor practical in this day and age. And more importantly, the power of Jesus allows us to not be bound in a rut of legalism and by the rituals of the law, but to have the grace and the freedom to live above the law.In the New Testament, Romans 8:1-2 says, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death."

 For me personally, my tattoo stands for most of the things my life is about and it has a story to tell. God's "Amazing Grace", is what sees me through every day of my life. I cannot do without it. 2nd Corinthians 12: 9 says "My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness."

 And I believe that completely. I have made mistakes and done some irreversible damages, but I go back to the Grace I can rely on. I go back to Him for strength and wisdom. And with every passing day I fall more in love with him.

He has made some of the most impossible things, Possible in my life. There has been a metamorphosis in me and its wheels are in motion. I don't know what tomorrow holds but I know I'm secure, in safe hands.

His Grace is where my Faith is.

No comments: