Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Musings and the High Street

 “Fashion is a strange and compelling creature.” Shobhaa Dé


As much as I love fashion, I am yet to understand the technicalities, so involved. Picture this, for example: Ten of us, models, standing in tow waiting to be fitted into clothes that are being showcased that particular evening. While the designer and the choreographer discuss the different forms, silhouettes and colours with regard to which garment would suit a model or vice versa ( ..I’m confused.), I stand amazed by the latter’s in-depth working knowledge- silently hoping to be like him someday: Stylish, Fun and Informed.

I try hard to decipher the jargons that fly past my ears and finally google words like ‘taupe’(a certain shade of beige), ‘Chevron’ (a triangular motif, inspired by the military regiments) and ‘Culottes’(flared trousers or what we usually call-divided skirts).

Well, there’s more to know and I am eager to find out.

***************************************************************************************************

 I don’t think fashion has anything to do with ground rules and style was never about statements. A top that screams ‘Ed Hardy’, thrown over a-shredded-to-threads-pair of denims and teamed with an attention-craving LV is only about statements (Blinding and offensive!) sans the panache!

And even though, each part of your anatomy has been labelled by different high street and oh-so-couture brands, it is essential to know that you might have just turned yourself into a delightful little douche bag!!

I understand I’m being rather harsh but Truth hurts and Reality ends up biting bigger and vainer holes into your pocket.

Lesson no. 1: Money does not buy Swagger!

****************************************************************************************************

Sequins are overrated and must be banned from being sown on to every other saree,Lehnga,Salwaar-Kameez, etc. Ditto for crystals, stones and every other gawdy bling element that the filmi-fashion aficionados obsess over.
I’d rather be draped in Kalamkari or block printed silk 6-yarders, breathing easy and observing better.

*****************************************************************************************

I’m thrifty by circumstance but I lust after clothes, shoes and bags by interest. If money were not an object, I’d match my dresses with a different Birkin everyday!!! But….I shall not be greedy and covetous. There’s more to life than beautiful diamond-encrusted patent leather bags (Sigh!).

 And while I find my purpose to this life, I will hop malls and raid secret hide-outs tucked away in the by lanes of this city.

No comments: