Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Vanity Fair??

 "Mirror Mirror on the wall, Please tell me I'm the fairest of them all.."
....Such is the self consuming nature of the times we live in.

A few months ago I had developed some food allergy which left behind bad rashes on my skin. And I had, never more longed for soft supple skin than, I did then. Consequently I freaked out more than I should have.

But that entire ordeal did make me think…It made me realize(overwhelmingly, I shall admit) how vain I had gotten over the past few years, and how utterly futile, is this marathon pursuit of vanity! I mean I’m constantly bickering on how my nose doesn’t sit right on my round face or how my eyebrow isn’t arched right or how my arms make me look like hulk Hogan( yeah! I’m a crib pot and I think I’ve got fat arms!). So I had decided, that one fine day when I’ve accumulated enough resources, I would fix my nose and sink my cheeks.

But would I be happy?? Honestly, No!…I’d still be cribbing…If I am not happy now, I’d never be happy then! This is exactly what I mean by futility!

On a general note, most of us make tall claims of being ourselves or wanting to establish our individual identities on who we essentially are but at the same time we are the ones who are the most insecure lot!…and to start with, it’s the mirror that bears witness to this insecurity. When we’re so bound with wanting to change the way we look, how in the world are we going to ‘be ourselves’. Perfection isn’t attained with silicons, scalpels, collagen and botox; it is attained thro’ acceptance- acceptance of who you are and what you’re meant to be, as prescribed by the laws of nature. You cant change that. If its written, then its good!!

This just reminds me of an article I read recently where Julia Roberts said that we live in such dysmorphic societies where women don’t give themselves a chance to know what they’ll look like as they grow older. I couldn’t agree more! I don’t want to be a Dorian Gray- immortalising my youth by gutting nature’s truth.

However, I don’t think vanity is all that bad; part of it is loving yourself. So the pursuit will continue, but only thro acceptance and not alteration, ofcourse with a little help from bronzers, Kryolan D14 and the cross trainer.

Therefore high cheek bones are now officially off my wish list, else the dimple on my cheek would never sit any prettier!

No comments: